Do you have a movie idea inside you that wants to come out? Do you have a script idea that you think will sell? Or do you just love movies and want to learn how they really work? If so then this course is for you. You will learn where to find stories, what makes a strong narrative, how to write memorable characters and how to format a professional industry standard script. The outcome of the course is a short film script and a list of competitions you can enter it to, if you want to launch your filmmaking or screenwriting career. Learning about the narrative is learning about life. If you are a CEO who wants to inspire his or her workers or a creative who wants to know narrative structure to write compelling pitch documents, you will also get a lot out of this course. It’s a practical, hands-on and clear pathway to screenwriting success.
Subject Matter Expert
Matthew Kalil’s work is marked by a deep understanding and inspired use of narrative, collaboration and subtext to distil sensitive performances and create meaningful cinema. He has an MA in Screenwriting from the NSFTV in the UK and over 20 years of experience in directing, editing and writing. His projects and collaborations have been seen in Canada, Denmark, Morocco, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Kenya, Thailand, the United States, United Kingdom, to name a few, and throughout South Africa. He has taught at various institutions over the last 20 years.
With the freedom that online education brings, CityVarsity Online students can upskill in their own time, from almost anywhere on earth. Well, anywhere where the internet is accessible, that is. But although our students may roam far and wide, they are never far out of our minds.
Each course is assigned its own Online Academic Tutor, who is ready and waiting to guide and assist their learners throughout their learning experience. The Online Academic Tutor, who is assigned to your course, is trained to build each student up to reach their fullest potential. Students can expect their Online Academic Tutor to answer questions, offer advice and provide further clarification on any academic aspects.
Course and Technical Requirements
In order to get the full benefit from this course, you require the following:
- Stable internet connection
- Firefox/Microsoft Edge/Chrome web browser (latest version)
- Adobe Acrobat, or similar PDF viewer
- Microsoft Word/Pages (ability to export documents as PDF files)
- Email/Cell phone for notifications and communication
- Ability to scan and upload documents
How We Engage with Students
Our online short learning programmes are broken into self-paced manageable modules designed to be interactive and engaging:
- The programme is available to be viewed on smart devices and includes mobile, tablets and personal computers.
- Relevant case studies, articles and recommended reading are part of supplementary resources available.
- Apply and evaluate what you have learned in each module with the self-grading quizzes and assignment submissions
- View a range of Introductory course videos by your Subject Matter Expert.
- Scheduled live webinars are included with the Online Academic Tutor.
- Network, collaborate and interact with your fellow participants and Online Academic Tutor via the discussion boards.
Upon successful completion of your course, you will be awarded a CityVarsity Online certificate.